- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, chilled and cut in several small pieces
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place first five ingredients in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (about 20 times). Place this mixture in a medium bowl and add apples and toffee bits. Place egg in a one-cup measure. Fill with half-and-half to the 3/4 cup line. Add the 1/4 cup of milk and mix well. Pour the egg mixture over the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Drop mounds of dough (about 1/4 cup each) onto a silpat lined baking sheet or a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden. Drizzle caramel glaze over the scones and serve warm.
Makes 12-15 scones.
- 1 teaspoon of melted butter
- 1 Tablespoon of caramel coffee flavoring syrup
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar or the amount that will produce the desired glaze consistency.
Mix until smooth and drizzle over fresh-from-the-oven scones.