Welcome to The Speckled Hen Inn
Located in Madison, Wisconsin
News from the Inn
- Breakfast is Back
- 2022 News from The Speckled Hen Inn
- The Heywood Hardy Suite is back and available to reserve!
- What to do in Madison in Spring
- Labor Day Weekend 3 Night Special – Book Friday, Saturday, & Sunday Nights and get 15% off your entire stay
- To Those Who Wisconsin
- Visit the Dane County Farmer’s Market and see our blog for insider tips
- Guide to great Restaurants in Madison – both casual and for celebrating that special occasion
- Waterfront Dining in Madison and beyond
- The Great Wisconsin Cheese Hunt – Your very own tour route for all the area cheese makers – yum!
- Looking to purchase a Gift Certificate? We don’t sell them anymore, but we still take Wisconsin Bed & Breakfast Association Gift Cards
- In addition to being voted #20 Best B&B in the U.S. in 2017, The Speckled Hen Inn has received the following awards: 2018 TripAdvisor Hall of Fame Award, the 2018 & 2020 HotelsCombined Recognition of Excellence, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021 Best of Madison , Conde Nast Traveler listed The Speckled Hen Inn as the place to stay in Madison in 2020, and the 2014-2019 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. as well as 2017, 2020 & 2021 Traveler’s Choice Award.
- The Speckled Hen Inn has FRESH EGGS FOR SALE
- Infusion Chocolates now available in our Romance Package
- Yes, it’s TRUE! Our rooms have King beds, great views, flatscreen TVs with ROKU, and FIREPLACES & JETTED TUBS
- Picking up or dropping off your student at the University of Wisconsin? Why not stay with us and treat yourself too!
- Need a getaway close to home, yet feels like you’re away from it all?
- See why booking direct on our website will SAVE $$$$
- Madison is a great place to visit – check out our Blog for day trips
- Want a romantic getaway? Our suites have fireplaces and whirlpool tubs!
- Corporate Meeting Space, Retreats or Christmas Parties? Call for details
- How about a friends getaway this summer? Check out the property photos.
- Follow us on Facebook, or Instagram for the latest on what’s happening at The Hen.
- What’s happening on Expedia, Hotels.com, and other travel websites is HURTING B&B owners! Here’s the truth behind it.
The Speckled Hen Inn is a Country Estate Inn located at 5525 Portage Rd., on the outskirts of Wisconsin’s capital city. The B&B is just 7.5 miles from the Capital Square and the campus of the University of Wisconsin and near the Dane County airport and Madison College. This country inn is the perfect place for a romantic getaway, birthday and anniversary celebrations, business travelers, or for Moms and Dads looking for University of Wisconsin lodging.
In addition to being voted #20 Best B&B in the U.S. in 2017, The Speckled Hen Inn has received a
- 2018 TripAdvisor Hall of Fame Award, the 2018 & 2020 HotelsCombined Recognition of Excellence and the 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021 Best of Madison , the 2014-2019 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. and 2017, 2020 & 2021 Traveler’s Choice Award. Conde Nast Traveler lists The Speckled Hen Inn as the place to stay in Madison in 2020!
The Speckled Hen Inn features uniquely different Guest Rooms, offering private baths with whirlpool jetted tubs, and fireplaces. Guests may enjoy the lounge, library and dining room as well as the large gathering room with a guest galley kitchen, theater room, and game/puzzle table.
The 20–acre property features pastures with sheep and llama, grassland and wetland areas, two creeks, spruce and pine plantations, orchards, walking trails and flower and vegetable gardens. There are many sitting areas, an outdoor picnic table, a temperature controlled gazebo, and a fire pit for our guests to enjoy. You will also see a number of happy Speckled Hens that produce wonderful eggs that are available for purchase!
From our guests
Our Guests continue to love their stay and have written over 600 great reviews on TripAdvisor.
“Another amazing stay….” Margaret & Steve
“One word: AMAZING!” Steve & Katie
“A Wonderful Experience!!!!” Mildred & David
“The best bed and breakfast!” Doug & Madeline